November 14 @ 9:00 am – December 7 @ 9:00 am
Basic Skills in Ignatian Spiritual Direction introduces people to the art of holy listening based on their experience of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. Using prayer, presentations, case studies, small group work, reading, reflective writing and supervised listening exercises Participants will learn or deepen their understanding of:
- the movements of the Spiritual Exercises
- the Rules for Discernment and their applications in daily life
- the value of the Daily Examen and various ways to approach this foundational prayer
- the life and wisdom of Ignatius of Loyola
- the historical development of Christian Spiritual Direction and its contemporary expression
- what we listen for and how we listen as spiritual directors
- specific listening skills
- the effect of one’s images of God on one’s spiritual journey
- models for conducting spiritual direction sessions
- $3,985 CAD – Ensuite Room – private single bedroom with 3-piece washroom, desk and chairs
Who Should Apply
Basic Skills in Ignatian Spiritual Direction is designed primarily for those who are exploring the call of offering spiritual direction to others. However, those already engaged in this ministry can also benefit from the course.
Consider applying if you:
- wish to begin the ministry of spiritual direction or explore the possibility
- want a deeper knowledge of the Spiritual Exercises and Ignatian spirituality
- wish to develop skills for listening to others share their sacred story and deepen their relationship with God
- want to deepen and hone previously acquired skills in spiritual direction
We welcome women, men, lay, religious and clergy of all denominations to our training programs.
Basic Skills in Ignatian Spiritual Direction is open to those who have made the full Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius under personal direction, either in the 30-day format or in daily life. It can also be combined with making The Full Spiritual Exercises Experience in our 40-day format beginning in early October.