About Us
Chronology of the Jesuits in English Canada
  • 1611 Arrival of Frs. Pierre Biard and Ennemond Massé, first of 300 French Jesuits who would come to Canada until 1764.
  • 1625 Frs. Charles Lalemant, Ennemond Massé and Jean de Brébeuf establish Jesuit headquarters in Quebec.
  • 1635 Frs. Paul Lejeune and Antoine Daniel open the Collège des Jésuites in Quebec, now known as Laval University, the oldest instutition of higher studies north of Mexico.
  • 1639-50 The best known of the Jesuit missions is that of Sainte-Marie-among-the-Hurons, "a home of peace" which, tragically had to be destroyed.
  • 1642-49 Caught up in the commercial and tribal wars between the Native peoples, many Jesuits were killed, most notably in 1642 Saint René Goupil; in 1646 Saint Isaac Jogues and Saint Jean de LaLande;éin 164é Saint Antoine Daniel; in 1649 Saint Jean de Brébeuf, Saint Gabriel Lalemant, Saint Charles Garnier and Saint éoël Chabanel.é/li>
  • 1673-1714 Together with the Jesuit-trained Louis Jolliet, Fr. Jacques Marquette discovers the Mississippi. He is the most prominent of the generation of missionaries and explorers who went establishing mission stations to preach the gospel to the Native peoples from Quebec into the Great Lakes, up to Hudson Bay and down to New Orleans.
  • 1763-1800 The Treaty of Paris cedes Canada to Great Britain and in 1773 the Jesuits are suppressed by Pope Clement XIV. The last Jesuit in Canada is Fr. Jean-Joseph Cazot. He dies in Quebec on March 16, 1800.
  • 1842-43 At the urging of Bishop Bourget of Montreal, nine Jesuits return to Montreal and a year later three more are invited to Toronto by Bishop Michael Power.
  • 1843 Auguste Régnier, from Lacadie, Quebec, the first Canadian-born Jesuit noéice, enters the noviéiate that is established that year in Montreal.
  • 1844 Establishment of Jesuit Mission Headquarters at Wikwemikong on Manitoulin Island, now the only ministry in Canada where the Jesuits have been working uninterruptedly since then. From there they radiated to stations along the north shore of Lake Huron to Sault Ste-Marie and along Lake Superior to Fort William.
  • 1845 Richard Baxter from Barrie, Ontario enters the Jesuit novitiate in Montreal. He is the first anglophone candidate to the Canadian Jesuits.
  • 1846 The Jesuits are organized as the New York-Canada mission, dependent on France.
  • 1848 Construction of a first "industrial school" at Wikwemikong. A second one will move to Spanish on the mainland in 1913.
  • Founding of St. Mary`s College (Collège Sainte-Marie) in Montreal. The English programme will be incorporated in 1896 to become Loyola College.
  • 1852 Frs. John Holzer and Gasper Matoga establish a mission in Guelph, Ontario to serve German and other settlers.
  • 1872 Founding of St. Andrew's Parish in Port Arthur (Thunder Bay, Ontario). It was transferred to the Diocese in 1997.
  • 1879 The Mission of Canada, numbering 186 Jesuits, separates from New York.
  • 1885 Jesuits accept the direction of the bilingual St. Boniface College, St. Boniface, Manitoba. In 1924, now French, it will be part of the French-Canadian Province.
  • 1890 The Canadian Messenger of the Sacred Heart begins publication. By 2011, it has a readership of some 30-40,000 people.
  • 1907 The Canadian Independent Mission becomes the Province of Canada.
  • 1909 Founding of St. Ignatius Parish, Winnipeg.
  • 1913 Seventeen English-speaking novices in Montreal move to Guelph, Ontario to found Saint Stanislaus Novitiate. In 1958, it was incorporated as Ignatius College. In 1994, the novices joined the Novitiate in St. Paul, Minnesota. In 2008, eight novices began, in Montreal, a new, bilingual, joint Novitiate with the French Canadian Province.
  • The residential school at Wikwemikong moves to Spanish, Ontario. It would close in 1958.
  • 1917 Founding of St. Ignatius Parish, Montreal on the campus of Loyola College. In 1966 a new church opens off campus; it is transferred to the Archdiocese in 1982.
  • 1918 Jesuits accept the direction of Campion College, Regina. In 1964 it enters into a federation agreement with the University of Regina and moves onto the campus in 1966. In 1971 the high school is transferred to the Catholic School Board.
  • 1924 Division of the Province into the English-speaking Vice-Province of Upper Canada with 137 members and the French-speaking Province of Lower Canada with 330 members.
  • Founding of the Parish of the Immaculate Conception, Vancouver. It will be transferred to the Archdiocese in 1984.
  • 1925 Beatification by Pope Pius XI of the Canadian Martyrs. Their canonization follows on June 29, 1930. The Canadian Martyrs Shrine in Midland, Ontario opens in June 1926.
  • 1930 Founding of Regis College, the Jesuit Seminary of Philosophy in Toronto. The Faculty of Theology will follow in 1943.
  • 1931 Jesuits accept the direction of Regiopolis College, Kingston, Ontario. In 1967 it unites with Notre-Dame Convent School until 1971 when the Jesuits withdraw. In 1975 the College is transferred to the Catholic School Board.
  • 1933 Jesuits accept the direction of St. Paul’s College, Winnipeg, which will transfer in federation to the campus of the University of Manitoba in 1958.
  • 1939 The Vice-Province of Upper Canada becomes a Province with 300 members.
  • 1940 Jesuits accept the direction of St. Mary’s College (later University) in Halifax. The high school will be closed in 1963 and the University transferred to the Archdiocese in 1974.
  • Jesuits purchase the site of Ste-Marie-among-the-Hurons, Midland, Ontario. Archeological excavations begin in 1941. In 1963 an agreement is signed with the Government of Ontario for the restoration and management of the site.
  • 1943 Establishment of the Sacred Heart Radio Hour (later, Sacred Heart Programme) in Toronto. After it introduces television broadcasts in 1955, its audience across the country exceeds half a million people.
  • 1945 Founding of the Jesuit European Relief Fund by the Jesuit scholastics at Regis College, Toronto.
  • 1946 The Upper Canada Province accepts its first overseas mission in Darjeeling, India, which eventually grows to include Bhutan and Nepal.
  • 1948 The Garnier Residential School at Spanish offers the first high school programme for Native people in Canada.
  • 1951 Opening of the Catholic Labour School in Toronto.
  • 1952 Founding of the Canadian Martyrs' Parish, Halifax, which is transferred to the Archdiocese in 2005.
  • 1954 Discovery of the grave of Saint Jean de Brébeuf at Ste-Marie-among-the-Hurons.
  • 1958 élosing of the Faculty of Phélosophy at the Jesuit Seminary in Toronto. Jesuit students transfer to Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington.
  • 1961 Regis College moves to Willowdale, Ontario.
  • 1962 Founding of Gonzaga High School in St. John`s, Newfoundland. When it becomes non-confessional in 1998, the Jesuits assume responsibility for St. Bonaventure's College.
  • 1963 Opening of Brebeuf College School in Toronto. In 1984, it will be transferred to the Presentation Brothers.
  • St. Paul's High School, Winnipeg, moves to Grant Avenue, Tuxedo.
  • 1964 Loyola Retreat House (opened in Oakville in 1953) moves to Ignatius College, Guelph, Ontario.
  • 1965 Opening of the Department of Communications, the first in Canada, at Loyola College in Montreal.
  • 1968 The first Canadian Jesuits arrive in Zambia to join the mission there.
  • 1969 Jesuits accept Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in downtown Toronto, in 2011 numbering over 18,000 parishioners.
  • Regis College becomes a founding member of the Toronto School of Theology in federation with the University of Toronto. In 1976 it will move to the downtown campus of the University. In 1978 Regis College is given full legal status by the Government of Ontario as a degree-granting institution.
  • 1971 Founding of the Anishinabe Spiritual Centre in Espanola, Ontario and opening of the Aboriginal Deacons Programme. Members of the first graduating class were given individually prepared stoles by Blessed John Paul II during his historic visit to the tomb of Saint Jean de Brébeuf in 1984.
  • Opening of Camp Ekon on Lake Joseph, Muskokaé Ontario.
  • 1974 Loyola College in Montreal joins with Sir George Williams University to found the new Concordia University. Loyola High School moves off-campus to a new modern facility in 1992.
  • 1975 Founding of Lonergan University College on the Loyola Campus of Concordia University.
  • 1979 Founding of the Jesuit Centre for Social Faith and Justice in Toronto, reorganized in 2007 as the Jesuit Forum for Social Faith and Justice.
  • 1984 Founding of the Jesuit Communication Project, Toronto. Between 1992-2007 its prime time TV program - Scanning the Movies and Beyond The Screen - won at least ten awards at international festivals.
  • 1986 First Canadian Jesuits arrive in Jamaica to join mission there.
  • 1988 Establishment of the Jesuit Refugee and Migrant Service.
  • Founding of the Jesuit Centre for Faith Development and Values at St. Paul's College, University of Manitoba.
  • Founding of the Loyola Jesuit Institute for Studies in International Peace at Concordia Univerity.
  • 1998 Opening of the Jesuit Centre for Catholic Studies, St. Paul's College, University of Manitoba.
  • 2000 Opening of the Angus Reid Arts and Multi-Media Centre at St. Paul's High School, Winnipeg.
  • 2001 Jesuits accept the parishes of Holy Rosary in Guelph, Ontario and of Kitchit Kateri, Thunder Bay, Ontario.
  • 2001-10 Ignatius College, Guelph, Ontario gradually becomes Ignatius Jesuit Centre, bringing together Ignatius Farm, Ignatius Farm Community, Shared Agriculture and the Ecology Project.
  • 2006 The Upper Canada Province officially changes its name to "Jesuits in English Canada."
  • 2009 The Province Archives of the two Canadian provinces come together in Montreal as the Archive of the Jesuits in Canada.
  • 2010 Beginning of the Spiritual Exercises ministry in Vancouver.
  • Opening of the Jesuit Centre of Spirituality in Halifax.

The Crusader

OpenSpace (Apr 2018)

Campion's Brag

Our Founder Frequently Asked Questions Mission and Goals History Chronology
Provincial Staff & Contact Information

Manresa Jesuit Renewal Centre
Since 1946, Manresa has welcomed retreatants to grow closer to God on 21 beautiful acres in ...